Tuesday, July 24, 2012

courage

I have been feeling like many times I try to step out of my zone and do something new and challenging, I get shot down by others.  Why is that?  Are they just trying to be realistic and helpful? Are they jealous of my attempt at success? Are they just Negative Nellies? What gives?  Even when I was in high school I remember this happening to me, wanting to apply to a university yet being pushed in another direction because my grades and SAT scores were only average.

So I come to my point...roller derby. I would like to become a skater, but comments from well meaning people have me on the edge. "Isn't it dangerous?" "Those people are tough!" "That requires a lot of time commitment.", etc. I am sure these are valid points. So when do you know to follow the desires of your heart and go for it vs. listen to suggestions/warnings from others?

I did a pros/cons list with J. last night while talking in bed. They both are about even. I think my biggest fear is devoting so much time, money and effort into it only to discover I don't really enjoy it. I do know that I love being amongst the atmosphere at the practices and bouts. I have met some really great people in derby. Skating is a wonderful form of exercise. J is supporting me 100%. So I guess I have some praying to do about it and hopefully a clear answer will come. If I don't try out as a skater, I will of course remain involved as a non-skating or even possibly a skating official.

1 comment:

Kathy Cassel said...

If you want to do it, do it. Then you won't look back and always wish you had. I was planning on blading all summer to wear off calories. (I was not planning on falling and pulling all the ligaments in my knee because I have good balance) Once I'm cleared with my knee, I am going back out to skate again (and this time stay on our nice smooth road.)