Friday, June 20, 2008

Attaching

Last night we were outside together as a family, and Alex had just woken from a nap. I went in, grabbed him and brought him outside to see our neighbor, who was over visiting. He was alert and happy, and she asked if she could hold him. I handed him over to her, a likable baby lover, and he looked into her eyes and BAWLED! He had the square mouth and everything. He was not happy at all, and she promptly handed him over to me, where he was quiet and content. What does this mean? I think it means he is forming attachments to us, our family. This is good, but it makes me sad. One day he will be leaving us, go back to Haiti to his parents, and will not know them. He was separated from them at one month old. How that breaks my heart!

When Sarah and I went to Haiti last September we brought home two sweet girls to their families. "Ella" had a strong bong with Sarah and cried the whole time her mother held her. I was sad for Ella, Sarah and Ella's mother. Can you imagine? This is what I am picturing will happen when Alex returns and I don't even want to think about it. Helande, however, was happy as a clam, and was lovingly admiring her mom and dad. I felt so much peace placing her in their arms, and knew it was where she belonged. Now she is growing to be such a beautiful girl and I hardly recognized her picture!

No comments: