Monday, September 8, 2008

"What's wrong with that kid?"

On Saturday I went to a church function with friends. When we were climbing in the van and I was buckling Samuel in his carseat I was approached by a very upfront child.
"Whoa, what's wrong with that kid??" this eight or nine year old boy asks me.
"He was born with a whole in his skull so he had to have surgery." is my reply.
"What is that then?" He points to Samuel's bump.
"That is where they fixed the hole." I say.
"What did they put in it?" he asks.
" I am not sure exactly, some medical stuff." It was some sort of putty, but I wanted the conversation to end.
"Mom, look this kid...." then his ADD kicks in as he turns back to me. "Can I touch it?" Shocked by the question, but in awe by this child's curiosity, I say yes. He poked it gently a few times. It feels hard like bone. He turns, gets in the car and we pull away.

My kids couldn't believe what happened. They thought it was so rude. I really hope that Samuel does not have to be asked these questions his whole life. I don't even notice his bump anymore, but I know a lot of people do. Some people make sure to comment on how adorable he is, other people stare, then look away when I see them staring, and some come right out and ask what happened. I personally would rather not answer them, but I do, hoping it will satisfy their curiosity so I can finish paying for my groceries (or whatever else I am doing)!!

No comments: