Saturday, November 8, 2008

National Adoption Month

November is National Adoption Month. It was in November several years ago when I first felt God tug at my heart about adoption. I was listening to Focus on the Family radio on a drive home one night and heard a moving story about a little girl who was adopted by the family being interviewed. I was moved, but at that time it was just an idea. Jeremiah and I continued to be open to the idea, and look where He has led us!

I remember opening the email from COTP with our proposal. I was so excited! The photo of Elijah loaded onto the screen. The first thing I saw was his little toes. I started to cry. I was so happy to see our little boy, one that I had inquired about in the past but was told he already had a family. I called Jeremiah and told him the news, we accepted the referral and then started to wait. It seems so long ago! I have learned and grown a lot since then, have endured a lifetime of heartache already. Seen extreme poverty in Haiti. Loved a little girl and let her go. Shared the experience of Haiti with my spouse and watched as he fell in love with our baby boy too. Worried, prayed, answered so many questions like "Any news on your adoption?", "Can you love someone else's child like your own?", "Can you afford another child?". Became very involved in an organization that has changed my life in numerous, drastic ways.

I remember being 6 years old and watching a infomercial on television for Compassion, World Vision or some similar organization. I cried and wept for the children shown on the show. I knew then at that age that I needed to do something to help. I didn't know what or how, I had nothing much to give. But I can see now that God had given me the gift of compassion to help change the lives of several little ones. God has put people in my life and by His hand has guided my path. It is truly amazing.

A great post from my friend Tanya's blog:

Did you know that November is National Adoption Month? Yep it is! I feel so incredibly blessed that God led us on this journey. I pray that more and more families open their minds, hearts and homes to children who might never know what it feels like to have a family.

If you do not feel led to adopt.... there are some things you can do to support others who do venture on that journey. Money is a huge thing, adoption is expensive. We took out a second mortgage on our house to pay for our adoptions...(thus we are STILL paying for our adoptions). I HATE asking people for money- hate it.

You can support organizations that provide extra care for children in foster care, orphanages, or children's homes.

Be supportive! Adoption is a very emotional journey. Be supportive of a birth mother who is deciding whether or not to place her child for adoption- and be supportive of people who are doing the adopting. There were many times while we waited that I felt very alone. Many people don't understand WHY we would feel the need to add more kids to our family. I am not sure I know the exact answer to that- except for where God leads- we try to follow. **And I am so glad we did!

No comments: