Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Burdened

I feel weary. I cannot even begin to explain how sad my heart is at times. I have suffered with the gift of compassion for many years. I remember the feelings I had as a young child while watching a "feed the starving children" type commercial on tv, or caring for a sick pet. I have these same feelings now, tenfold. I get so emotional at the thought of a child suffering, whether it is in the same county as me, or across the world. There are so many, and we can't save each one. It is just not possible for us to do it on our own. We can make a difference in a few lives though.


I believe that God brought several people in my life for a specific reason. I met my friend Sarah several years ago at my kids' homeschool program. She had adopted from Children of the Promise in Haiti. I was eager to learn the details. J. and I had considered adopting in the past, and the seed that had been planted by a Focus on the Family radio program had begun to sprout.


Sarah and I became fast friends and soon we began volunteering together. We traveled to Haiti and helped save the lives of a few precious children. We've been through heartbreak and experienced great joy. Sarah and Salem both started the MAT from the ground up. I soon became the host family coordinator.


Though our adoptions, traveling to Haiti, and helping several children, my life has changed. My priorities are much different and I feel happier about the little things in life. My relationship with my Father God has changed too, and for that I am most thankful.


I do, however, carry this burden. The burden of hearing about a little girl, orphaned and abandoned because of an illness. Unable to obtain medical care because of the country she was born in. Her story is so similar to our son's. I want so badly to help, but I am limited to what I can do, because of finances and circumstance.

I did not seek her out. The Lord brought her story to me. The timing is not perfect for us, we are busy, and I have a lot going on in my family. But there is something about her that is calling out to me. I am not sure why, I feel the need to do what I can to save her life. I am reaching out to others, so that they can experience the same joy and blessings I have experienced by helping a child.

It is the best feeling in the world.

Psalm 28

Of David.
1 To you I call, O LORD my Rock;
do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.

2 Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Beautiful post!

Laurel

Momto16 said...

Yes yes! I 2nd that. Beautiful post :)
Love you!

Ericka said...

Oh my sister-in-compassion - it's a tough burden sometimes, huh?
My God bless every inch of this journey with Mercy and fill you with peace and provide strength in the dark times.