Thursday, December 17, 2009

To homeschool or not?

We sent our kids to school this year. A very tough decision but so far a good one. They are all enjoying school and I enjoy the extra time to be with the little boys.

I am wondering what I should do once Mercy is home. She will most likely need some therapy and extra attention or special services. Mercy won't be 5 until March so she could go to Kindergarten in the fall, or we could hold her back a year or we could teach her at home. I guess we will have to wait and see what her needs are and what she would enjoy. I really feel this sense of protecting her, so my heart is leaning towards homeschooling for at least the first few years.

3 comments:

Kathy C. said...

When to start school is a challenge. We wanted our twins to be home by this past year so they could go to the free pre k and start getting their language. It's only 3 hours a day but you have to be 4 on Sept 1, cannot be 5. So now our only choice is K-5 all day or wait a year. After being with them this last visit I don't think staying home with me a year would be a good thing. Ugh, what to do. I'm with you on that question.

One Crowded House said...

We kept Stevenson home for a full year (he was five when he came home) before we had him start school. So, he started kindergarten when he was 6 1/2 years. It was the best decision for us, having that year to bond with me and learn how to be in a family was so important. He is so little, and he was having to get caught up on the language- that he seems to fit in right where he is despite the age difference....

Mama in Uganda said...

First off, thanks for inviting me to your blog! How did you hear about Mercy? And currently where does she stay? What is the name of your lawyer? Or, feel free to email me at mccourtney3@yahoo.com and ask me questions too.

As for homeschool.....I am a "Homeschool Only" mama. However, with that said, there is freedom in Christ in this matter--from family to family :-) I would HIGHLY encourage you to keep Mercy at home for a year, for more than one reason. Bonding, medical condition, transition, etc. I would not doubt that there will be more "issues" that surface once you get sweet little Mercy home. Please, please eamil me so that I can be more specific.

Love,
Mama in Uganda